Choosing the Right Camera
To have the best experience animating, you need to have the right camera.
Choose a camera that Dragonframe supports, and that has live view and camera control over USB.
We recommend Canon EOS models, and the majority of professional work is done with them.
The mirrorless Canon EOS (R, RP) and Nikon Z series are both great options for stop motion animation.
Supported models from Sony and Olympus are also very good options.
Canon EOS R / RP – Stop Motion Animation Firmware
For high quality, professional stop motion work, we recommend the Canon EOS R or RP with stop motion animation firmware. These models have a massive 1920 x 1280 live view over USB, as well as new focus peaking capabilities.
Setup and Troubleshooting
Find your camera in the list below. Follow the Setup link to find setup instructions specific to your camera.
If your camera is on our supported list (below):
- Follow the setup instructions for it, thoroughly.
- Make sure your version of the software supports the camera (in setup instructions page).
- Make sure your software is up to date. Use the program’s Preferences : Updates to check.
- Review our Camera FAQs for answers to common camera issues.
- Contact support if you still need help.
If your camera is not on the list, then it does not work with Dragonframe. There may be options to get some type of capturing, but the experience won’t be very good. We strongly recommend finding a camera on the list if you are serious about stop motion animation. See the Camera FAQs for more information about unsupported cameras.