Dragonframe Tether (DF Tether) is a free app that allows you to use your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad as a capture source in Dragonframe 4 stop motion animation software.
Install Dragonframe Tether through the App Store on your device.
Requires iOS 10+.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer via a USB cable.
- Launch Dragonframe 4 software on the computer.
- Create a new scene or open an existing scene.
- Launch DF Tether on your device.
Dragonframe will automatically detect it and connect to it.
NOTE: Windows user must install iTunes.
- Dragonframe will show a video preview using the iOS camera. (Assuming you have a scene open, per instruction #3 above.)
- You can control shutter speed, ISO, focus and white balance.
- Capture JPG or DNG images directly to the computer.
- Focus in Dragonframe by pressing the crosshairs icon in Animation or Cinematography workspaces.
NOTE: Requires Dragonframe 4 on a macOS, Windows, or Linux desktop system. Dragonframe 4 is a separate purchase, and not included with this app.
If you are on Windows, and the iOS device appears in iTunes but does not appear in Dragonframe, try taking a photo on the device, disconnecting it, and reconnecting it. More suggestions can be found in this video.
If you are on Windows, and the iOS device does not appear in iTunes, but appears in the file explorer, you must change the driver. Look at this video, but choose the ‘Apple Mobile Device USB Driver’ instead of ‘MTP USB Device’.
If your computer detects the iOS device, and Dragonframe tries to connect to it, but it fails to talk to Dragonframe Tether, you can help us by sending log files. First, in Dragonframe, go to Preferences | Capture and set Camera Logging to High. Then try to connect to the iOS device again. If it fails, go to Help and choose Report an Issue… to send the machine’s log files to us. Then, on your iOS device, swipe left in Dragonframe Tether and copy the logs, then email them to [email protected].