Dragonframe stop motion software
Buy Dragonframe stop motion softwareFree Dragonframe Trial

Dragonframe Stop Motion • View topic - MX2 Stage Zero Dolly

MX2 Stage Zero Dolly

Discuss the Arc Motion Control system, Arduino integration, IOTA controller, and more.

MX2 Stage Zero Dolly

Postby willbishopthreenames » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:16 am

Hello- Good News (I think, or maybe old news) on how the MX2 Stage Zero controller communicates with Dragon and a newbies question on the same topic:

Good News for anyone using an older MX2 controller, there has been a Firmware update from Dynamic Perception who make the MX2:

MX2 Firmware Version 0.90
http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page=wordpress&p=628

"In large part, this feature was driven by the need to integrate the MX2 with Dragon Stop Motion to automate the playback of a move in DSM via the Stage Zero dolly. See this post on the Timescapes forum for more background on this: Stop Motion with the Dynamic Perception MX2.

Notably, with the previous modes of On, Off, or Toggle for the Alt I/O lines, you were prevented from using ramping or other features that would happen across multiple shots. With the new external intervalometer mode, you can preserve and use every feature of the MX2 while triggering operation from an external device."

When I checked the firmware version on our mx2 controller and 0.90 was already installed, the update must be for ones shipped before September.

My question is:
What do I do now?

There is advice from Dragonframe on making Arduinos, but it's unclear to a newbie how you physically connect the Arduino to the computer (USB?), and which might communicate with the MX2, if there is one. or is the MX2 an advanced, ready made Arduino? If so, can they directly connect?

There is no reason why Dragon should cover 3rd party products but any advice gratefully received.

There is advice from Dynamic Perception on bearing the wires of a 3.5mm jack lead to connect to an external intervalometer, whatever that is.
http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=284

Is MX2's external intervalometer the same as Dragon's Arduino?

The two sets of advice have big areas of assumed knowledge and things that don't seem to connect.

Again, any advice gratefully received.

We have one at my college now and if Dragon and the MX2 will talk to each other easily so students can set it up then that's great.
willbishopthreenames

Re: MX2 Stage Zero Dolly

Postby DISPLACEMENT 1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Hello not sure if this will be any help to you but here are my thoughts . The MX2 is a very good stand alone controller for dynamic perceptions slider which uses a dc motor.
If you have the new dragon frame software I wouldn’t even contemplate using the MX2 you are introducing a extra level of complication . I think you may be better swapping the dc motor on the slider for a stepper and connecting this to the arduino with a easydriver (as described by dragon frame ) Depending on what stepper you use you may need a gearbox .
Hope some help or it may have confused you more soz!
DISPLACEMENT 1

Postby willbishopthreenames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 am

Thanks very much, Displacement 1
Useful and not confusing.

We currently have the earlier version, Dragon 2.
We are scheduled to upgrade sometime next year (I work for a college in the UK). I will certainly get the stepper and the arduino + easydriver then, if that allows you to program the move from within Dragonframe.

For now, what would your advice be with the earlier version of Dragon?

Do you leave the camera unconnected to the MX2 controller or is that connection how the motor knows to move on? Would the MX2 try and operate the camera at the same time Dragon does?

I'm going to test it now, so maybe I will find the answer by trial and error.
If so I will post.
willbishopthreenames

Postby DISPLACEMENT 1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Glad I could be of some help . Yes you will definitely be able to control a stepper motor rig from within dragonframe .
Not sure how to interface a MX2 to the older software I am a stepper man and not got a MX2 myself.
If your collage fancy a bigger rig currently working on a semi pro version of this rig http://vimeo.com/23125753 Pan track tilt pull focus . Just thought would mention it think you said you are in the UK
Cheers
DISPLACEMENT 1

Postby willbishopthreenames » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 am

Ooh. A cool rig.
would an aluminium rail make a more stable/ easy to shift about track?
http://www.minitecframing.com/Products/ ... Bar_8.html
willbishopthreenames

Postby willbishopthreenames » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 am

Further thoughts. MX2 now accepts 'ext.interval' input, from a remote shutter control release like this one:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-ham ... e/p1018141

I think this tallies with
http://www.dragonframe.com/moco-3d.php#arduino

" Two-Way Remote (DFRemote)
Create a remote control for Dragonframe using an Arduino. Use the remote to interact with motion control systems, cameras, or other hardware devices. The remote can send commands to Dragonframe (shoot a frame, delete a frame, play/stop, go to live) or receive notifications from Dragonframe (shoot, delete and position frame).
The DFRemote sketch is installed at:
[DF]/Resources/DFRemote
The DFRemote sketch uses the Simple Serial Interface to communicate with Dragonframe.
The sample programs below show you how easy it is to use the Arduino to instruct Dragonframe or receive notifications from it.
Examples
• Example #1 - Basic overview
• Example #2 - Trigger stereo slider"

So that an arduino can send a signal from Dragon to the MX2 as if it was an 'ext.intervalometer', instead of the remote shutter release. This means you can keep the facility of the MX2 'ramping' gently into a move, and just push one button to move the camera and take the shot.

Or so it seems.

Really this is only useful if you already have a Stage Zero Dolly, as it seems to make sense to make a Dolly from scratch to use with the new Arc Motion control.
willbishopthreenames

Postby willbishopthreenames » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:52 am

what is meant by the following please?

"The DFRemote sketch is installed at:
[DF]/Resources/DFRemote"

I'm assuming the sketch is what you put on the Arduino, and [DF]/Resources/DFRemote is a web location.

I guessed http://www.dragonframe.com/Resources/DFRemote but that doesn't get you anywhere...

Is it a menu item within dragonframe rather than a web address?
willbishopthreenames

Postby rbrigham » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 pm

hi will

DFremote is a file that comes with dragonframe
not sure if it is with the trial version but it loads into aapplications/dragonframe/resources
on my mac

there is also a help file there that will explaine what to do with it

robin
rbrigham

Return to Motion Control